Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Power of Decision


Today, I'd like to share a personal anecdote and connect it with our training:

One week before I tested for my 3rd Dan, I blew out my knee. I was performing a board break with a flying side kick, jumping over four students. As I leapt, my foot caught on the carpet. I felt a sickening twist in my knee. It broke my concentration and I missed the board. In one of my classic 'stupid' moments (a time when adrenaline overruled reasoning), I ran back, knee and all, repeated the jump, and was successful.

That night, my knee became a watermelon. I limped to my car and drove myself to the ER (another stupid idea). The doctor glanced at my leg and said I'd be out for at least 6 weeks, possibly up to 6 months.

My heart sank. Any chance of a second opinion? He didn't even do any tests! Grrr!!!

As I lay in bed later, I decided I would test. Even if I wasn't at 100%, and had to baby my leg, I would be there. I wouldn't quit. Somehow, I would find a way.

The next few days were powerful. By test day, I was 95% better, with a fancy "bionic knee brace" as backup. I didn't actually need the brace because of a near-miracle (that's another story), but I still wore it. I needed to be flawless to avoid further injury. One bad move, one slip beyond my brace's protective capacity, and it'd be over. I performed the best test of my life that night.

What's the point of this - that you can defy medical advice and duplicate my stupidity? No.

My decisions focused me on a certain set of options, and it changed my attitude, actions, and results.

Be mindful of your choices, young grasshoppers. They define you.


Take away the superficialities of circumstance, and what remains is always the same: choose, and act. It's easier said than done, but I hope that you always choose well, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment