Thursday, July 16, 2009

Whatever It Takes

Here's a little martial arts story for you:
A master violinist once performed for a private party of wealthy socialites. His music was brilliant and stirred the emotions of more than a few audience members, save for one, who spent most of the evening talking about musical theory and the nuances of the songs. Following the concert, several of the guests flocked around him.

"Brilliant, my lad!" the talkative partygoer remarked. "I used to play the cello in school, but I could never play like that, so I gave it up. You MUST tell me your secret. I'd give anything to be able to play like you."

The violinist, possessed of uncommon arrogance (and not exactly known for his tact), retorted coldly, "Anything EXCEPT the years' worth of practicing for hours each and every day, endless afternoons and evenings listening and analyzing the works of the great masters in order to gain insights into their technique, reflecting on the brutal criticisms of my mentors, peers, and audiences so that I might glean a sliver of advice that I could improve upon, and then enduring empty conversations with rank amateurs at dinner parties in which I am asked to impart in moments what takes a lifetime to achieve. And this is merely the beginning! No, sir, what you would give is NOT anything, nor would it be sufficient to attain what you desire, because where you made excuses, and grew frustrated and quit, and the times afterward where you sought shortcuts to greatness, or stood and watched others struggle towards brilliance with your dim glimmer of proficiency, I did more than reminisce of days gone by and conjure empty dreams. I lived."

Ouch. As rude and unkind as the violinist may have been, his words are truthful.

"But Mr.G, I thought you were going to share a martial arts lesson?"

I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment