Monday, July 13, 2009

Thoughts of a New Teacher


Kristi W., a senior-ranked student (and new instructor) of Sensei Chris Feldt, recently posted this journal entry. Her words capture a journey that many teachers go through, and not only in the martial arts world. Enjoy.


I Am A Teacher

I am a teacher and I loathe it.
I lack confidence.
I can not find the words to express what little knowledge I have to pass along.
My hands sometimes shake.
I forget to explain steps I simply do out of habit.
I must revisit that tedious technique so that I can teach it.
Something always goes differently.
Things I have known for years suddenly become mysterious when, inevitably, the student asks me "why."
What is more inadequate for an answer than "because?"

I must explain my knowledge differently.
I have to find new words.
I have to find a different way to think things through.
Everyone learns differently after all.
I must adapt more quickly when things don't go as expected.
I must research that difficult question so I can give an accurate answer.
I must relearn what I know again and again.
I must have more confidence with that shaky technique next time.
My students always find a way to make me better.
I am a teacher and I love it.

Show compassion for the teachers in your life. Each is at a different stage of their journey, and will react to things differently, but all of them respond well to kindness. Part of that compassion stems from acknowledging that Kristi's feelings can be spoken from a student perspective just as easily. If we can all feel this way, then we have common ground to begin building something far better than any stereotypical teacher-student relationship.

The path of the teacher and student are one.

No comments:

Post a Comment