Wednesday, November 11, 2009

My Life Is My Test


When I trained under Grand Master Ed Fong, I tested four times for my 2nd degree black belt, thrice for my 3rd degree, and twice for my 4th degree.  I didn't fail any of the tests; in fact, I rocked them.  I tested multiple times because it was expected that I complete my test in phases, divided somewhat evenly throughout my candidacy.  Because of this, I was constantly preparing to test.  I'd train, train harder, train insanely, peak, test, and then repeat.  (on top of school, family, etc.)

During the time that I served as his advisor, I strongly recommended that he eliminate this practice.  I felt like the constant pressure led people towards burnout.  He looked at me like I wasn't getting the real picture.  He was right.

Today, I do not test my black belts in phases; however, I've also realized GM Fong's real lesson and I fully intend to honor his teachings by passing this knowledge to you. 

The truth is: the test never ends.

In fact, your "test" (or more appropriately, OUR test) began the first day that we walked in the door.  When I use the word "test" in this fashion, I really mean "personal improvement", "mental, physical, spiritual, and emotional growth", "lifestyle of consciousness and awareness", and many more things!

Our "test" is most keenly felt when we come across something that is hard, and that moment is EXACTLY the time when your actions reveal your "skill" (my code for: "character").

We train because the very act of training is a transcendent action.  Every time we do it, we are trying to make ourselves better people - to transcend ourselves, in a manner of speaking.  Every time we make the effort to organize our lives so that we can train, we are trying to become more efficient at doing our homework, performing our job duties, managing our family's busy routines, etc....all so that we have time to grow.  Sometimes it's a pretty tough thing to do. 

Sometimes life can be a tough thing to handle. That's because our life IS our test. 

Train for it. 

As you grow in your mastery of the martial arts, it will be revealed in every minute of your day, in every aspect of your character, and in every action.

No comments:

Post a Comment