Thursday, September 17, 2009

One Hundred Sixty-Eight...

...is the number of hours in one week. After you take away sleeping, eating, personal hygiene, home stuff, training, daily commutes, and work/school, however you choose to use the remaining time will play a critical role in your success.
As I speak to people, one common thread in our conversations is always how busy we are. I wonder: how effective is our usage of time? If we're all at our best at work, play, and rest, wouldn't we be much closer to being stress-free, happier, and in line with our goals?
I'm not perfect at this myself. In fact, part of why I'm writing this is because I'm still optimizing my use of time, and I think it'd be a healthy exercise for all of us to do. Can I save an extra half hour by hitting the gym on my way home, instead of going home and leaving again? Did I waste too much time on Facebook and not enough time grading? How can I best organize my time so that I'm not obsessed with 'things to do' when I go out with my beautiful, brilliant, caring girlfriend? (Yep, she's reading this. See what I did there? That's called multitasking. lol)

Let's talk in "karate language" for a sec: to win a sparring match, you can't just throw a bunch of techniques randomly and pray....at least not if you want to win consistently. Every strike and move is deliberately set up to capitalize on the previous one, and when a good combo lands, the effects sometimes last for many rounds...sometimes into the next few days!

With that in mind, we all get the same 168 hours each week, but are the moves of your life deliberately designed to help you, or is your routine only hurting you more?

No comments:

Post a Comment