Friday, August 28, 2009

Ed Fong, Master Teacher

Kwan Jang Nim Ed Fong was my first teacher in the arts, a guide who showed me my life's path before I knew where to step, a mentor whose advice I still seek out, and a man whom I will always honor as my master.

It is an unusual concept in the U.S. to refer to someone as master, but there is no other term which accurately describes the relationship that I have with Master Fong. In his presence, and among those who would know the reference, I often refer to him only by the Korean honorific, Kwan Jang Nim (Master, also abbreviated as 'KJN'). Even though there are thousands of KJNs in the world and I address all of them with the respect they are due, when *I* say the title 'kwan jang nim', I think of one man and only one man first.

KJN and I have been close for many years. He has been my mentor, guide, and friend; however, I have never addressed him by his first name. I know a lot of people named 'Ed', 'Eddie', 'Edward', etc. None of them are KJN. No other Ed can get me to do what Master Fong can get me to do. When my master speaks to me, my life's path is laid before my eyes clearly and his words stay with me long after our conversation fades into a dim memory. I don't mean this blindly - I'm perfectly aware of my master's humanity and his capacity for error, but even when I disagree with him, I still leave with an energy that few people can inspire within me. Regardless of whether I leave motivated, puzzled, honored, offended, supported, frustrated, and/or any other combination of feelings, I find myself drawn to return again and again, as if a piece of my heart and soul are forever rooted in our student-teacher connection. (That's because it's true.)

Often, when I visit, parts of our meeting remind me of the original 1977 Star Wars film, when Vader addresses his former master and friend, Obi-Wan Kenobi, arrogantly telling him: "The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but a learner. Now I am the master."

Despite having become a master within my own right, when I return to my master's side, I am reminded that the circle is far from complete. I am - and always will be - his apprentice, forever striving to be worthy of being considered one of his most trusted students. His insight borders on the extraordinary, far beyond mine on my best days. My master already knows where my life is headed before I've even begun to move in that direction. When I visit him, he is rarely surprised when I share what's been happening in my life. Instead, he is almost always ready with advice for me, whether or not he agrees with my choices, and whether or not I am prepared to hear his teachings. I find that his ability to know each of his students well enough to try and offer guidance on their individual paths has molded my own impression of how a master teacher relates and deals with each of their students. In both his shortcomings and his strengths, I find that there are still lessons for me to learn from him and apply within my life.

Every martial artist of note can (and should) be able to trace their lineage, and while you all know me, knowing who I trained with will help you further in establishing relationships with other martial artists around the world, because we're all one big family. Some of you have had the privilege of being one of KJN Fong's students, in one form or another; however, for many of you on this list, Kwan Jang Nim Fong is your grandmaster - your teacher's teacher. I hope that you can meet him someday and experience a glimpse of the man who helped me forge myself into the person that I am today.

Rare is the person who can impact lives in the way that he can.

2 comments:

  1. I remember Ed Fong when he was my instructor at West Coast Fong at Kooser Rd. He is the best teacher in the art of TKD. I've visited many TKD schools since then, but none are as good as his. -Scalia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I attended Mr.Fongs school when i was in the 1st grade to the 3rd grade (86-88) when it was next to the Chuck E. Cheeses. Great school.
    To this day I still use some of the training I learned then.

    ReplyDelete