Saturday, June 27, 2009

On Trust

Pictured:
GM Hyun K. Choi (left), GM Dan K. Choi (right)


In Korea, several decades ago, a young student stood before his master.

The master said, "Go to America and teach. Spread the art."

The student replied, "Yes sir."

Afterwards, the student packed his bags. He left his country, family, and friends to go to America. He settled in the South Bay, not too far from here, and washed dishes to help contribute towards the rent for a small room, which was shared with several others. It took months before he had saved enough to risk opening a tiny training center to begin teaching.

For this, I am forever grateful.

His name was Dan K. Choi, and he is my grandmaster - my teacher's teacher. Were it not for his trust in his master's vision, none of us would be training in the way that we train. From one man's act of faith blossomed dozens, if not hundreds of schools. Easily half of the schools in Santa Clara County are linked in some way to his instructional lineage, including ours.

My first master, Ed Fong, is truly his master's student. His methods are "old school", and his intentions are not entirely discernible at first glance. When I was his senior advisor, I often questioned his vision and his methods (it was my duty); however, I have never questioned his intentions.

Much of my own method is in the spirit of their teachings. I strive to be transparent with my motives when necessary; however, there are times when I am intentionally vague, or pursue directions which do not necessarily make sense right away. When this occurs, I must rely on your trust.

Trust is always an act of faith. It makes our progress together possible.

Thank you for believing in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment