Monday, June 22, 2009

The Cost of Training

Things that are free are often perceived to have low value. We take them for granted. Homecooked meals are amazing after you've been on your own with dorm food, Top Ramen, and JBox to live on.

I used to charge for my lessons. In any given month, I could expect to make anywhere from $125-750 from every student in my school, plus additional fees from outside students. As my students spent their years training diligently under me, I rewarded their loyalty with a bigger monthly bill. I tried to justify it by talking about things like added value, special training, and exclusive opportunities - all of which were true. It made my wallet heavy, but my conscience heavier - not because it's "bad business", not because it's terrible to demand increased dedication from committed students, but because I wasn't giving back the value I was asking for. I knew it, and I asked for it anyway. I abused the trust I had earned. This is my dishonor to bear.

Today, I train people for next to nothing, but regardless of whether I charge, or how much, I always insist on delivering maximum value. What you get here is special.

You have a unique and exclusive opportunity to participate in some of the most revolutionary and innovative training in the world, and while what we do may resemble "those guys in that other school", what goes into our training and what we produce from it are beyond anything that they are offering.

We offer a kind of value that cannot be bought with money.

It is earned through a conscious commitment to train and improve, to support others in their pursuit of excellence, and to ensure that you never take the benefits of our training for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment